Saturday, April 18, 2009

My first blog...teaching teenagers to drive

Well if you have ever taught a teenager how to drive or it is an experience that you have to look forward to then you will relate to this blog. I have teenage twin daughters. So not only do I get to teach one teenager but I get double the pleasure. Oh wait did I actually use the word pleasure, because it is anything but pleasurable. I suffer from constant pain and even though I have refused pain meds, and I know that I am getting off my topic here for just a moment, but I saw too many of my clients, who were seeing me for depression because of their pain and loss of their jobs, get hooked on pain meds and they just increased their problems. OK now back to driving. But teaching teenage girls to drive makes you want pain meds, because one, like most greenhorn drivers, when you say break, this is translated into...slam foot now on peddle, which leads to a whiplash like motion, and with multiple ruptured and bulging discs in your neck is not a motion you want to indure. Two, some of the questions they have asked me are just scary. Like which is the brake and which is the gas?...and to ask it every time they get in the car to drive is just scary. Or when do you know when to turn the wheel in a curve? This is just some of the questions they ask. Then the one daughter after a coal truck going in the other direction comes towards our car shouts OMG, which is followed by another coal truck. At which point she applies the brake, again with the whiplash. And when the third one approaches, we are now stopped in the middle of the road until it has safely passed us. And the way they sway back and forth is like being in one of those 3D movie theaters. And those bars that you find in cars to hold onto, that I refer to as "oh shit bars"...well mine has a permanent hand print in it now. For awhile after they got their permits, I couldn't get them to drive cause they scared themselves to death. Luckily though I have to say our car is very visible because it is a bright yellow, Ford Escape covered in smiley faces, and that's another blog for another time. But I do believe that just the color of the car has saved our lives more than once. I can just see the people in the other cars saying, "OMG, that car is all over the place, they must be drunk", which is followed by a lot of space being put between us and them...can just hear the wife saying, "Oh, don't get too close Henry!" And those that are approaching us in the other direction tend to start hugging the edge of the road for the yellow car that keeps goin over the center line. Oh and they are so easily distracted too. Gotta watch them on that. One of the girls was driving and saw a horse and was like look a horse. Needless to say I was hollering forget the horse look at the road. So if this first blog is all you ever hear from me again...you will know I took the girls driving again and it didn't end well. But I do believe I will survive this ordeal and have some really memorable stories to tell from the experience and that's just what hickchic thinks...

8 comments:

  1. I'm not that bad!!

    -The Easily Distracted-coal truck fearing Twin

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO Your story reminds me of my oldest son's first driving experience. Taking the back country roads with the deep ditches. Almost hit a few mailboxes on the first ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha!!! All those times where with Sissy!! That just goes to say who is the best driver, muwahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hickchick,
    I feel your pain, my daughter just turned nineteen, been there done that.
    Always remember, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    Like you blog, I will follow.
    SQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have 7 kids, 2 were grown (step daughters) by the time I came into their lives, I rode with each one of the others ONCE before they got their drivers license, ONCE. I did almost everything else for my kids but I can barely ride with the ones that are in their 30s now! There are limits and you have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny TC! I am a single mother so I kinda have no choice but to be the one to teach them to drive. But I must say they are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like your blog. its cool check out mine
    www.learn2blog4money.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this reminded me of teaching my kids to drive and honestly it sure made me laugh, i just enjoy reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete