Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I Scream for Ice Cream!


When I was in second grade, every Friday, if you had money, you could buy an ice cream after everyone finished their lunch. The cafeteria staff would ask who wanted an ice cream and then would go around to the uplifted hands of those who had money to buy an ice cream. Then take their money and they would get an ice cream. I can remember how I would watch the lucky ones eat their ice cream and drool at the mouth wishing that I too had an ice cream. After months and months of just drooling my day finally came. I ate my lunchroom food very quickly, cuz today I had money to buy an ice cream. I was so excited! I watched as others ate their food and could easily pick out those who didn't have money for an ice cream cuz they ate more slowly. That is when I got the idea, I would buy everyone who didn't have ice cream money an ice cream! Finally the moment came and there stood the cafeteria staff asking the much awaited question...Who wants ice cream today? I proudly held up my hand and when my turn came I said, "I would like an ice cream and I also want to buy everyone else who doesn't have money an ice cream as well". And at that, I handed them the blank check, I had acquired from a box in a room my parents used for storage. I was just in that room rambling, a few days before, when I came upon the checks. And I had seen my parents use these just like money, and I thought they wouldn't mind me taking just one to buy ice cream. The lunchroom lady asked, "Do your parents know that you have this"? Needless to say, I did not get ice cream, nor did the others who had no money. But what I did get was a visit to the principles office where I sat until my MOM arrived. Seems they had called her to come to the school to discuss this matter. When I took the check I really didn't think I was stealing but after the talk with the principle and my mother, I got my first lesson in stealing. I remember crying and saying I was sorry, that I just wanted an ice cream, like the others. And for the record, I never took anything ever again after that without asking cuz technically that was stealing. But after that, I did get money to buy ice cream on Fridays.
So hickchic thinks...it is better to ask and not assume, cuz you just might be stealing and that sometimes good things do come out of bad things!
:) smiles

5 comments:

  1. I remember this story
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost broke my heart . . .

    Glad it all worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx Laughing Idiot for visiting my blog, much appreciated. I really don't remember it as being sad but that I got ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of being lonely standing outside a window looking in and wanting so much to belong on the inside. I wonder how many kids today are wanting that ice cream but can't even afford the lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that story! I bet you can never eat ice cream without the memories of the blank check! Sassy

    ReplyDelete